The Yoga of Ahimsa
According to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, the very first principle of ethical perfection upon which the entire science & art of Yoga is based is Ahimsa.
Ahimsa is a Sanskrit word that means non-violence. It means to do our best to not cause harm in our thoughts, words & actions.
Every day we have the opportunity to practice Ahimsa (non-violence) with our dietary choices. Every dollar that we spend on food is a vote for either cruelty or lovingkindness, devastation or sustainability.
When we choose the Glad Diet, which consists of fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, grains & legumes we are choosing Ahimsa (non-violence). When we choose the Sad Diet, which consists of meat, fowl, fish, dairy & eggs we are choosing Himsa (violence).
What are you voting for?
We are all compassionate by nature. It is just that most people have have been socially indoctrinated from the time of birth by their parents, teachers, clergy, all forms of media & our culture at large, to somehow disregard the horrific suffering that our dietary choices cause to the animals, the environment & to human health. So let’s take the blinders off & wake up from this cultural trance!
Many people who practice Yoga & those who consciously embrace a Spiritual path, recite some type of prayer to the effect of, ” May all beings be free from suffering & filled with Peace, Joy, Love & Light.”
So, here is the first of my 10 Compelling Reasons to Choose a Plant-based Diet from my new book, Feel Good Now~ How to Feel Your Best & Have Your Best to Give, to inspire more compassionate dietary choices that are in alignment with the values that we hold dear!
Supercharge Your Wellbeing with The Lovingkindness Diet and Lifestyle
What we eat has a huge impact on how we feel! If you really want to feel your best and have your best to give, I highly recommend supercharging your wellbeing with The Lovingkindness Diet and Lifestyle. Why? Because what goes around comes around!
If you choose food that is kind to the animals, the environment and to your own health, kindness is what will return to you on all levels!
“Kindness is the highest form of Wisdom”
10 Compelling Reasons to Choose The Lovingkindness Diet and Lifestyle
Problems existing on Earth today include drought, deforestation, climate destabilization, pollution, depletion of farmlands, ocean devastation, energy shortages, world hunger, disease, animal suffering, domestic and global violence, and so much more.
Few people are aware that what we eat is directly related to the crises that we face on Earth today
The SAD–meaning the Standard American Diet, which consists of meat, fowl, fish, dairy and eggs–is one of the major causes of all of these problems. It is also one of the major causes of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, autoimmune diseases and a multitude of other health issues.
By choosing the GLAD vegan diet–which consists of fruit, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds–all of these problems can be reversed! GLAD, in this context, stands for the Global Loving Ahimsa Diet.
Ahimsa is a Sanskrit word that means non-violence. It is high time to connect the dots and make some new choices for the benefit of one and all! So here are 10 compelling reasons to choose a compassionate plant-based diet!
- Animal Welfare
- Eliminate World Hunger and Starvation
- Reverse Water Shortage
- Reverse Deforestation
- Reverse Global Warming
- Reverse Pollution
- Increase Energy
- Improve Nutrition and Health
- Eliminate Modern Day Slavery
- It Is the Right Thing to Do!
Although most people are more familiar with their pets– such as cats, dogs, parakeets, etc.–than they are with cows, pigs, chickens and sheep, animals used for food are as intelligent and able to feel pain as the animals with whom we share our homes.
Pigs can learn to play video games and chickens are so smart that their intelligence has been compared by scientists to that of monkeys.
- More than 60 billion land animals and over a trillion marine animals are killed every year for meat, seafood, dairy and eggs!
- The vast majority of these animals are kept in factory farms, which are like concentration camps for animals and cause horrific suffering to the animals.
- These factory farms are disease-ridden to the extent that animals are fed, injected and sprayed with antibiotics, insecticides and other toxic substances just to keep them alive
- Animals are injected with hormones to make them grow fatter and faster
- Dairy cows are injected with hormones to make them produce more milk
- Since the meat, dairy and egg industries are based on supply and demand, by purchasing and eating these products you are being an agent of this horrific cruelty
- You are also ingesting these toxic substances, plus the biochemistry of misery and terror that is aroused by the mistreatment and slaughter of these living beings. Is any meat, dairy product or egg worth causing this unnecessary suffering to these precious animals? Let’s remember to treat others as we would like to be treated. What goes around comes around!
- Every vegan saves more than 100 animals each year. Choosing vegan foods over meat, eggs and dairy products is an effective way to prevent suffering and eliminate animal abuse. With every bite you take you are either voting for cruelty or lovingkindness toward the animals, the environment and your own health. So choose wisely!